Barre is a popular fitness class that is making women all over the country feel beautiful and strong. Barre is founded on the principles of disciplined movement that include a focus on strength, flexibility, balance, and strengthening. Depending on the instructor Barre includes traditions and movement from ballet, yoga, pilates, strength training, and cardiovascular exercise. During most Barre classes a barre is used to help maintain balance while doing exercises that focus on isometric strength training combined with high reps of small range-of-motion movements. Most classes are 55-60 minutes long and start with a warm up and a sequence of upper-body exercises, which target the biceps, triceps, chest, and back muscles. Next, you will use the ballet barre and your own body weight to focus on the thigh and seat muscles. Followed by an abdominal series and then stretches to help increase your flexibility and muscle recovery.
Our instructors design their own style of classes, so pay attention to the class descriptions to see which class suits you. We guarantee you will enjoy them all and notice benefits from all that our Barre classes and instructors have to offer.
- YOU: your own body weight- (the most important piece of equipment in a Barre class)
- Yoga mat
- Ballet barre
- Light hand weights
- Pilates balls
- Better posture
- Weight loss
- Increased lung capacity
- Better balance
- More flexibility
- Awareness of your mind and body
- Increased strength
- Cardiovascular conditioning
- Increased bone density
- Improved cognitive functioning
- Do I need to wear socks? Most classes are done in bare feet, however if you would like to add some traction there are many options for barre socks out there. We will be selling some at the studio for anyone interested.
- Is Barre cardiovascular? Of course it is! Your heart rate will go up and down, and up and down again. : )
- Can I take Barre classes if I am pregnant or recently had a baby? As always consult your doctor before beginning a new exercise program.
- Are private sessions available? Yes, we do offer private sessions if you would like to get a better feel of the positions. We also offer private “theme” classes for children’s birthday parties or bachelorette parties. The possibilities are endless. Contact us for more information.
- Are prior dance skills required? Absolutely NOT! All types of people take our classes. We offer modifications and our instructors will make sure you are in the right position.
- Will Barre classes help tone the body? Yes! Barre helps burn your muscles to the fullest potential and stretches and elongates that same muscle group. You may end up with some of these amazing results: smaller waistlines, thinner thighs, lifted, stronger seats, and flatter abs. Come check it out for yourself- what do you have to lose? Besides maybe some of those extra pounds ;)
*Private and semi private Barre sessions are available upon request.